Chicken Pot Pie Recipe from simplyrecipes.com
Chicken and stock ingredients:
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) frying chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken then I didn't do any of this part)
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small onion, halved
- 2 teaspoons salt
- cover with water and simmer 45 min. Strip chicken from bone
- and you can strain liquid and use as broth.
Pie crust ingredients: (I doubled mine It was enough for six small and
one bigger one, we did have a little extra and put it on the bottom of the
large one) jess requested more crust and Ella played with the leftovers.
By adding a few extra things and doubling the crust I made 6 small and
one bigger one. Everyone loved it and asked why don't we make it more!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, diced into 1/2-inch cubes (best to chill cubes
- in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before using)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- Combine flour and salt(I had salted butter so I omitted the salt) in food processor. Add
- the chilled butter(important) cubes and pulse 5+ times to combine. Add the shortening
- and pulse a few more times, until the dough resembles a coarse cornmeal, with some
- pea sized pieces of butter. Slowly stream in ice water, a TBL at a time, pulsing after each
- addition. until the dough sticks together when you press some between your fingers.
- Empty the food processor. Place dough on counter. Use your hands to mold into a ball
- then flatten into a disk. Sprinkle with a little flour, wrap and refrigerate for a least
- 30 min, or up to 2 days, before rolling.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk + 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- (I used the 3 cups stock 1 can cream soup and no milk)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry sherry(omitted this you can adjust with stock)
- 3/4 cup green peas, frozen or fresh(I used a cup)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley(i used 4 TBL)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- I sauteed the onion carrots and celery in butter I also added 3 potatoes
- and garlic of course, then added the flour cook a minute more then add milk
- or use chicken broth which I did. Then I added the thyme I had dried so
- I used that. I add the chicken and simmered 10 min. Mine was still a little thin
- so I added 1 can cream of chicken soup. Add the peas and parsley which I used
- more of salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Divide into separate
- ramekins or use one large ramekin or casserole dish.
- 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water